Monday, August 3, 2009

Terracotta Soldiers I






























Dear friends,

I hope my lines find you smiling and you are well off.
Today I want to share with you some pictures form the biggest museum that I have been to. Largely uncovered even until today, the Terracotta Army of one of the Chinese emperors (of the Ming dynasty?) was one of the highlights in Xian. Once brought to daylight, the exquisite coloring fades away in minutes, so what we can see today is only a small part of the entire formation that was supposed to protect the deceased emperor from his enemies. The soldiers are in life size and made up out of (only) three pieces. It must have taken years to produce only the small fraction that we are able to see.

I hope soon the Chinese scientists find a way of conserving the color when excavating the rest and can open up even more fields of history for us to marvel at and learn from.

All the best until soon,

Mat

No comments: