Monday, August 24, 2009

My Shanghai Zoo experience






























Dear friends and family,

I hope once again my lines might find you very well off. Today I would like to share a very ambiguous experience with you, i.e. my trip to the Zoo. The entrance gate seemed rather welcoming, but the first impression only lasted until I saw the first animal cage: poorly designed, much too small and reeking with excrement was my good mood flushed away. The bad signs of trash in many animal cages as fully inadequate substitutes for the lack of toys or otherwise useful interior continued throughout the zoo and have a tough time finding their equals anywhere else on the world. I regret to say that my impression about Chinese behaviour towards animals could hardly have been worse. Indeed, I seemed to be the only one to notice the lack of care for almost all inmates. Even the elephant show was pittyful, compared to the real ones in Thailand. If the first time I saw a Big Panda life and in color would have been under these circumstances, I might have purposely delayed my experience. I guess my disappointment comes clear when you compare the poster and the real impression of the Panda. And please note that I am not referring to the state of activity, as Pandas really spend most of their time (<80%) sleeping of lazing around.

Maybe that is what I should do as well, but please under better conditions,

Cheers,

Mat

No comments: