Sunday, March 8, 2009

Aussi Footy Match
















Dear friends near and far,

I hope my blog still entertains and informs you reasonably well. My apologies for the recent delay. Australia is such a beautiful place that I preferably spend my time elsewhere as opposed to spending it in front of the computer. Yet, here I am, giving my memories some written shape to share them with you.
One of the many memorizable events of my Melbourne adventures with Scotty was the AFL (Australia Football League) match he took me to.

Australian football is played with two teams of 18 players with a ball in the shape of a prolate spheroid, what an average European would call a simple American Football without the lining. It is played outdoors on a large oval shaped grass fields. The two posts and two behind posts at each end make up the. The primary aim of the game is to score 6 point goals by kicking the ball between the middle two posts of the opposing goal. Quite logically, the winner is the team who has the higher total score at the end of the fourth quarter, i.e. roughly after 100 min. I enjoyed almost every minute of it, because it was fast, happening and very entertaining to watch. Yet, I did not quite want to trade spots with the bulky players who tackle each other feriously without any body protection but muscles.

As Scotty explained, an Aussie Footy experience was not complete until I ate my meatpie with Ketchup and gulped down my little blondie, I turned into a beer-drinker for the first quarter and most of the second quarter of the game.

Cheers to Aussie Footy, what a game!

Mat

No comments: