Saturday, February 14, 2009

My grandfather in Parliament
















Dear Readers,

one of the most heartracing stories during our ancient culture tour occured inside the walls of the biggest religious monument on earth.
We were not allowed to enter the main tower...
BUt having read the sign that forbid us to climb up the stairs to the top, a guard with a slimy smile on his face approached us and offered "private admission" to the top for the "extra cheap price of USD 20 per person.
Now we were in a little desaster. Having paid USD 40 for each 3-day ticket was expensive enough (albeit worthwhile the money) and we certainly did not want to engage in any bribery scandal on site. Yet, on the other hand, travelling all the way to Angkor Wat and then not seeing the tpo of the central tower is like marrying without kissing the bride.
We were unhappy for some moments to say the least.
But then I remembered that my grandfather in Parliament is on the cultural restauration and reservation board of the German development aid program. How could I forget... So I told the greedy guide that I was going upstairs without paying him in order to check wether the German taxpayer's money was worthwhile invested. I asked him, with shaking knees, whether he wanted to be responsible for a stop of funding for the project once the renewal vote was due next week in Parliament. Even though he did not necessarily looked convinced, I jumped the fence and climbed up the steep stairs in an attempt not to appear to nervous. Instead I was shaking so badly that I had to hold on to the stones and take a break of 2 seconds in the middle of the stairs. Reaching the top I saw that a policemen was on my heals...

More tomorrow...

Cheers,

Matti

No comments: