Thursday, August 28, 2008

local delights


Dear Reader,

sorry for the delay in writing. I guess group work, case writing and translations are taking their toll. Still time is very enjoyable over here, despite the fact that the rainy season is knocking heavily at my window.

Before having had dinner at Philip's place the other night, I was prompted to try out some local fruits... since I forgot the names already, I had some help from a local (thanks Wei-Chieh)




"The first one is called a mangosteen. It's nicknamed the Queen of Fruits. Durian <<(not tried yet, not on the pictures either)>>, on the other hand, is nicknamed the King of Fruits (as obnoxious as it goes). The two fruits are usually in season together, so people who eat the heaty durians would very often also eat mangosteens to counter the "heatiness" because the mangosteen has a cooling effect - ok, these are the terms used in chinese medicine, which groups food into various types. Eat too much, and there'll be an imbalance, and you fall sick."

The second one is the Ramputan fruit, a little bit like Lychees. Sweet, quite refreshing, somewhat cooling...


As all of you know, I am a very careful guy.... so I did not fall sick... yet.


Have a nice Thursday,

All the best,

Mat

No comments: