Thursday, June 4, 2009

What I thought was Yuyuan Garden




















Dear friends and family,

One of the first sightseeing tours in Shanghai brought me to what I believed was Yu Yuan Garden. Originally built for government officials of the Ming Dynasty, it was meant to be a place for them to enjoy a tranquil and quite retreat from the already busy life of the city. What I found on that day was rather a place full of food stalls selling everything from mouse bread to steaming slime. One of those wonderful volcanic drinks I tried for your amusement and my curiosity. I believe it was dried ice that caused the "smoke" that you can see creaping up inside the cup.
However, a semi-local guide told me afterwards that this foodplace was not Yu Yuan Garden. So I hope to show you some real pictures some other time.

Have a nice evening,

Mat

No comments: